There’s nothing better than an afternoon on the water while wearing an adorable gingham crop top. It was a quick look I threw together after the beach one night. I wore it to walk around a local marina and dinner afterwards with my boyfriend. What would make this look even better would be if I lived on the marina. I mean, how adorable is the background in the photos below! Water surely has a sweet spot in my heart.
Let’s just say this outfit is perfect for the heat. It will keep you as cool as humanly possible without stepping inside air conditioning. We all know that’s almost physically impossible with Florida summer heat (insert laughing emoji here).
Typically I don’t instantly associate ruffles with gingham but I love the feminine detail it adds to the crop top. There’s elastic on the hem which helps gives it a blouse like shape. This is nice because I can place it exactly where I want it on my waste and it doesn’t move. Also probably the only time I prefer elastic on my clothes ha. I paired it with my go-to summer shorts and white sandals. The straw bag helped pull the whole look together (hint: to hide the pink tassels just turn the bag around!).
How to style a gingham crop top:
- Purchase the item // There are so many girly gingham crop tops in stores right now. If your more of a blue gal, this crop top is really cute. As we transition from summer to fall, a gingham top with sleeves is also another great option.
- Focus piece // With every single outfit I wear I start with a “focus piece”. This means there will be one item in your outfit that you want to showcase. In this case, it’s my gingham crop top.
- How will you wear it // Decide if you want to show skin or keep the look modest. If you don’t mind having a bit of skin showing, pick a pair of low-rise or regular shorts. I prefer to wear a crop top with something a little bit higher waisted like my white shorts. For the fall you can always swap out shorts for white skinny jeans!
- Pair with Neutrals // If there’s a print/pattern in your outfit, especially if it’s my “focus piece” I like to keep the rest of the look fairly minimal. Match the gingham crop top with neutrals like white, denim, black or tan. Here I chose white shorts because they complimented the white check pattern in the gingham crop top.
- Dress Up with Accessories // I’m a person who likes to match their accessories to their outfits and keep it in the same color family. This is not for everyone. Blair or Atlantic Pacific is a great example of this. I wore white shoes to match my white shorts. You could also:
- Add a bright red bag
- Add a bold red lip
- Add white sunglasses or a tortoise shell pair
Shop more gingham pieces here:
There is no”right” way when styling an outfit. Have fun, explore and be sure to come back for more tips! I really do hope this helped. If you ever have any styling questions, please feel free to ask!