17 In Outfits/ style/ summer

Gingham Crop Top Goes Coastal

Gingham Crop Top

There’s nothing better than an afternoon on the water while wearing an adorable gingham crop top. It was a quick look I threw together after the beach one night. I wore it to walk around a local marina and dinner afterwards with my boyfriend. What would make this look even better would be if I lived on the marina. I mean, how adorable is the background in the photos below! Water surely has a sweet spot in my heart.

Gingham Crop Top

Outfit Details

Charlotte Russe Top, J.Crew Shorts, Gap Shoes (old, similar here), ASOS Straw Bag

Gingham Crop Top

Let’s just say this outfit is perfect for the heat. It will keep you as cool as humanly possible without stepping inside air conditioning. We all know that’s almost physically impossible with Florida summer heat (insert laughing emoji here).

J.Crew White Shorts

Gingham Summer Crop Top

Summer Crop Top

Typically I don’t instantly associate ruffles with gingham but I love the feminine detail it adds to the crop top. There’s elastic on the hem which helps gives it a blouse like shape. This is nice because I can place it exactly where I want it on my waste and it doesn’t move. Also probably the only time I prefer elastic on my clothes ha. I paired it with my go-to summer shorts and white sandals. The straw bag helped pull the whole look together (hint: to hide the pink tassels just turn the bag around!).

How to style a gingham crop top:

1. Purchase the item // There are so many girly gingham crop tops in stores right now. If your more of a blue gal, this crop top is really cute. As we transition from summer to fall, a gingham top with sleeves is also another great option.
  2. Focus piece // With every single outfit I wear I start with a “focus piece”. This means there will be one item in your outfit that you want to showcase. In this case, it’s my gingham crop top.
  3. How will you wear it // Decide if you want to show skin or keep the look modest. If you don’t mind having a bit of skin showing, pick a pair of low-rise or regular shorts. I prefer to wear a crop top with something a little bit higher waisted like my white shorts. For the fall you can always swap out shorts for white skinny jeans!
  4. Pair with Neutrals // If there’s a print/pattern in your outfit, especially if it’s my “focus piece” I like to keep the rest of the look fairly minimal. Match the gingham crop top with neutrals like white, denim, black or tan. Here I chose white shorts because they complimented the white check pattern in the gingham crop top.
  5. Dress Up with Accessories // I’m a person who likes to match their accessories to their outfits and keep it in the same color family. This is not for everyone. Blair or Atlantic Pacific is a great example of this. I wore white shoes to match my white shorts. You could also:
    • Add a bright red bag
    • Add a bold red lip
    • Add white sunglasses or a tortoise shell pair

How to Style A Crop Top

Outfit Details

Charlotte Russe Top, J.Crew Shorts, Gap Shoes (old, here’s a similar pair by Soludos!), ASOS Straw Bag

Shop more gingham pieces here:

There is no”right” way when styling an outfit. Have fun, explore and be sure to come back for more tips! I really do hope this helped. If you ever have any styling questions, please feel free to ask!

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

Torrie
    August 2, 2017 at 7:09 pm

What a great location! I love it! I wish I lived close enough to a marina that something like this was even an OPTION for a mini photo shoot because as it is, I’d probably have to drive a few states over! Ha ha.

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:40 am

Thanks Torrie!!! Living right by the water is one of my favorite things about Florida! How far do you live from the coast? I also think it would be really fun to live in a place that has a ton of lakes but unfortunately lakes don’t do so great in Florida.

Amanda | Maple Alps
    August 2, 2017 at 7:49 pm

What a great outfit! I could never pull it off I feel. But it looks fantastic on you; perfect for the beautiful summer weather!

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:38 am

Thanks Amanda! I bet you could! Yes, so so great for hot summer days!

Shannon Mahaney
    August 2, 2017 at 8:07 pm

That top is super cute and perfect for Florida heat! II am always looking for cute tops to wear with my white shorts in the summer.

I’m originally from Merritt Island (321!) and it was seriously a swamp town in the summer. I’m in South Carolina now and it’s just a tad cooler but still humid.

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:38 am

Thank you Shannon!!! I agree, a cute top and make or break an outfit. This one was so cheap I am really glad I bought it from a store I don’t normally shop at. Are you fr? Sweet! 321 baby haha!!!! By now I’m pretty used to the head but then again, I work inside air-conditioning all day lol. That stinks the humidity didn’t seem to get any better =/ but South Carolina sounds so beautiful, especially by the coast and Charleston!

Abi
    August 2, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Love this outfit, and your shorts are beyond adorable too! I just snapped some pictures by a marina near me, and while I love the look, I don’t think I will ever love the smell of the sea=)

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:35 am

Thanks Abi!!!! =) =) That’s fun you live close to a marina also! Yes, every once in a while there will be days where the river or ocean just smells rancid. I try hard to stay away from the water when it’s so stinky like that ha! But for the most part the water is nice and fresh! It’s the heat you have to deal with.

Kristen from Pugs & Pearls
    August 2, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Love this look! White shorts are always my favorite. Makes you look extra tan, haha!

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:34 am

White shorts will always be my fav go to no matter what the season, minus the winter because even in Florida it gets a little to cold to whip out the shorts every week. For real, the photos were so dark, I had to really pull up the brightness and it makes me look extra tan. Can’t complain much about that because I have faily fair skin.

Aubry
    August 2, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Gingham can do no wrong! Super cute!

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:32 am

haha no it cannot! Thanks Aubry!!!! There’s so many cute pieces for fall and just like you said, they will do me no wrong, except maybe my bank account loL!

Krystyana Lux
    August 2, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Love how this look is still modest. I’m definitely going to rethink my attitude towards crop tops.

katieskronicles
      August 3, 2017 at 1:31 am

YES GIRL!!! I am not super comfortable showing skin while walking around town, especially when I feel like it puts all eyes on you. I prefer to stay under the radar but crop tops can surely be worn in a modest way!!! Often I will wear them with high waisted skirts to work and never feel inappropriate! Thanks for stopping by Krystyana!

Jenna Condon
    August 3, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Awh gingham tops are just so cute! I’ve been looking for the perfect one, and I love the color of yours πŸ™‚

Elizabeth Mayberry
    August 4, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Love this look girl!! And yes on the crop tops with high waited bottoms – I love that look and do it all the time!! Love the water too!!!

Taylor
    August 7, 2017 at 8:06 pm

That is such a cute top! I love your tips on how to style it! thanks for sharing Katie πŸ™‚

Taylor | http://www.livingtaylored.com