Something that I have always struggled with is my skin and breakouts. Since my preteen years my skin has always been very sensitive, red, and acne prone. Over the years it’s gotten drastically better with the occasional break out here and there. The challenge I’ve always faced is finding products that are gentle on my skin yet don’t cause me to breakout or itch.
Drug store products have never worked with my skin, especially face moisturizers or those that are applied topically. That has been hands down the hardest product to find. I’ve seen it all. Facial pimples from a non-breathable face cream, itchy, blotchy and bumpy skin, and very oily skin. Most drug store products have some sort of fragrance and I have found that is what bothers my skin the most. I try extremely hard to shy way from any product that have added synthetic fragrance. This includes lotion, shampoo/conditioner, soap, lip balm, deodorant and facial moisturizers. Finding products with no fragrance is quite a challenge.
A few years ago while searching a local health food store for natural products, I discovered the line Derma E. It’s my favorite facial skin care line at the moment. They use very natural ingredients and many of the products are unscented. To me the most important aspect when buying a new product is reading the ingredient list and making sure it has no strong scent.
Derma E facial products I currently use:
- Purifying Oil-Free moisturizer: I use this everyday and probably the most frequently. A main ingredient is activated charcoal, so the serum is a light black color but it goes on so smoothly!!! Kind of weird at first but you get used to it and it doesn’t cause my skin to change color in any way.
- Purifying Daily Detox Scrub: The scrub also has charcoal and is a chain metal grey with tiny beads but it leaves my skin feeling so fresh and invigorating. I only use this 2-3x’s/week as an exfoliator, especially on the days I work out.
- Soothing Cleanser: I use this facial soap every morning. It’s soft, gentle, no strong fragrance and doesn’t dry my skin out in the morning before a full work day ahead. To me the absolute worst is washing your face with a drying face wash causing you to cringe all day long because your face feels so dry.
- Very Clear Moisturizing Cream: This is what I would call a winter product. I find it a bit heavy for everyday use but it’s extremely moisturizing for harsh winter months when your skin needs a bit of extra lovin. When I was in North Carolina on vacation last October I forgot my face moisturizer (not the product you want to be without when your skin is used to 100% humidity all of the time) and bought the moisturizing cream at their Kroger grocery store. It kept my skin nice and moisturized but I noticed I would wake up with new blemishes the nights I used it. (Note: the ingredient list has since been updated, so I may need to try the new formula before completely ruling it out).
My Top 5 Favorite Skin Care Products:
- Desert Essence Organic Almond Lotion: My absolute favorite lotion to use. I apply it everyday to my legs after I shower. It is gentle, has a slight sweet scent and is probably the most moisturizing lotion I have ever used. It’s not greasy nor does it leave a weird residue on your skin.
- Derma E Facial Moisturizer: My daily face moisturizer that I mentioned above.
- Bumble and Bee Pit Putty Organic Deodorant: The best organic deodorant ever that you apply with your finger. Scroll down to see where I talk about it in more detail below.
- Honest Healing Balm: I use this when I have cuts or skin irritations. It works wonders and I have found it helps cuts or scrapes heal faster than any ointment I’ve used before. There is no petroleum in the ingredient list, which I love.
- Unscented Lip Balm: This stuff is amazing. I buy 3-4 at a time from my local health food store. You would not realize how hard it is to find unscented chap stick. I can’t stand when lip balms have scents especially if it’s like “key lime” or “vanilla ice cream” because I just want to lick it all off.
Another product I love is Chi Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner. I’ve tried every shampoo and conditioner known to man. Hair products do not bother me as much as other items I apply directly onto my skin but I have found shampoo or conditioner with wheat as an ingredient will cause red and itchy sores on my scalp. Most likely due to the face that because I have eliminated gluten completely from my diet, I can’t handle it in topical products like shampoo. Again, I’m no doctor but after much trial and error with different hair care brands, those that contain wheat do not react well with my skin.
Jessica Alba’s Honest products are all amazing and I and have tried multiple items from their line. For whatever reason my skin does not agree with their Honest Shampoo + Body Wash. You would think it would be gentle on my skin because it contains no sulfates, parabens, synthetic fragrances or common allergins but I quickly found out that after each use I’d become extremely itchy. In my opinion, I think it may just be a mix of the ingredients my skin doesn’t appreciate. Honestly (get it haha), I never know 100% why, I just move onto the next product if it doesn’t work for my skin.
- Bubble and Bee Pit Putty: Pit Putty is my absolute favorite substitute for deodorant. It comes in several scents and they even make one for extra sensitive skin. You rub the putty on with your finger. Sounds so strange. Believe me when I first heard about it I was so against using the product but I guarantee you, it works like magic once use start to use it consistently. Don’t quote me on this but I’ve read that your body needs to detox and allow your pours to breathe once your stop the using of drugstore deodorant for the putty to work in the long run.
Years ago I started researching the everyday products I use and all of the ingredients that were put into them. Of all the research I kept stumbling upon studies finding that drug store deodorant contains parables and aluminum and could possibly be a cause of breast cancer. Does it really?! I have no idea. All I know is that I care about the ingredients that go into my skin and I feel much more confident applying a natural deodorant made with ingredients like coconut oil, baking soda and shea butter.
In my own personal experience in using the pit putty, I can happily say that I sweat way less. I can go all day at work and not have any perspiration. That was never the case for me when I used drugstore deodorant. There are a few downfalls to the putty though. From personal experience, it does not work well when you wear black faux-leather clothing (that sounds so ridiculous as I read through this lolol but it’s true). The baking soda seems to rub off on the clothes.
You also cannot travel well with the putty (learned that the hard way) because it has coconut oil as a main ingredient so it melts into a liquid at 74 degrees. (ie. sitting on a plane runway or in a hot car for hours on end). Once you get indoors, it hardens again but I find it easier to just travel with drugstore deodorant for ease. If your going backpacking for months on end or traveling to an exotic rain forest, this product is most likely not for you. Other than that it works great and I couldn’t say anything but positive things about the pit putty.
The List of My Favorite Natural Beauty Products:
- Derma E Soothing Cleanser
- Purifying Daily Detox Scrub
- Purifying Oil-Free moisturizer
- Very Clear Moisturizing Cream
Do you have any favorite natural skin care products that you use on a daily baises? Or natural beauty products? I’d love to know more about those as well.